Jan 15, 2009

Andy Update

Well, great news. Andy was released from the hospital yesterday! I was able to speak with Amy for a few minutes on her way to the hospital. She retold me the stories from surgery day, and I was pretty accurate for the most part. Here's the skinny:

Although they had complications with his leg (see blog below), everything else turned out fine (including the leg stuff). I guess the doctor reporting to Amy that he may not have pain relief and things didn't go well was just a resident and didn't know exactly what he was saying. The "real" doctor said things turned out great and he should be able to live a pretty normal life!

They were not able to replace the discs they were hoping for, but the did fuse several discs together. Amy said he should gain about an inch in height! :)

Andy was excited to go home and said he was already feeling relief in his back! Praise the Lord!! He stomach was pretty painful, but I guess that's what you excpect when they cut through muscle and take your inards out! Yuck!

So, THANK YOU for all of you praying for him and his family. Keep the prayers comin' during the long recovery time. I know it will be hard on him to not hold his children and hard on Amy and the kids to not have daddy up and going. A small price to pay for a "normal" life again!

****On another note, I have not had school the last two days!! This weather is CRAZY right now. For over two weeks we had temperatures in the negatives....like -15 and more! It was SOOOOO cold. THen, all of a sudden, God must have heard us praying for warmer weather an He delivered! In about a two day period, the temperatures have warmed up to the upper 30's and lower 40's. THis makes for freezing rain, melting snow, and refreezing streets at night time. Needless to say, school has been closed because of ICY ROADS (and extrememly high winds). THis is just crazy to me! I mean, come on...I DO live in Alaska! We've NEVER had schools closed for icy roads in the 8 years I've lived here and only had them closed for snow a couple of times! I'm certainly not complaining though...I've definately enjoyed my time off!

And now, I'm headed out on a red eye flight with the family to go to the great state of Texas to visit mom and dad for a week. We are so excited. More to come later....

3 comments:

Staci said...

Great news about Andy!

That's crazy about the icy roads! At least they want to keep everyone safe :)

Alyssa said...

Great news! I'm glad to hear he is doing alright. Have a great trip to Texas.

Ledbetter Fam said...

I hope we can work it out to see each other. If not, have a GREAT visit with your family!!!!!!!!!

JB