Apr 1, 2009

Mt. Redoubt Volcano

Many of you have been hearing about Mt. Redoubt Volcano that has been erupting lately. This volcano is about 100 miles South of Anchorage across Cook Inlet. We have been hearing warnings that the volcano has been at a state of "unrest" for several months, and a week ago Sunday, she finally started to blow! In the past week and a half, the volcano has erupted more than 15 times sending large ash plumes into the sky! The last time this volcano erupted was in 1989 and the eruptions were off an on for a four month period! We could be in for a long haul!
This is a picture of the ash cloud from the volcano during an eruption on Saturday. The volcano erupted 3 times Saturday and the mid-afternoon eruption sent an ash cloud over Anchorage. Since it started erupting on March 22, we had been warned that we could get hit with ash if the winds were blowing just right. Well, Saturday they blew just right and it was NASTY! The sky got gray and foggy looking. I was "fortunate" enough to be out and about when the ash came through so I got to experience it first hand. It was hard to breath and you could feel the ash grit on your teeth and it your eyes. When you opened your car door, ash came flying in. People were wearing masks and covering their cars (it can ruin an engine I guess). We all had to cover our fireplaces and put wet towles down by the doors to minimize the ash coming into the house. Did I mention it was NASTY? The airport closed for quite a few hours on Saturday because of the ash. Over 10,000 people have been affected in their flight plans the past week and a half. Planes either can't leave or are late leaving and coming to Anchorage. They are monitoring each hour to see if they can take off and land because the ash will ruin the planes engines. Most people that are trying to get to Anchorage have been a minimum of two to three days late arriving! Crazy stuff!


I took this picture from my front door. This is snow in my driveway covered by ash!


All of the gray you see on the porch is ash. We only got a "light covering." I can't imagine getting dumped on! Praise the Lord that He allowed it to snow about 3 inches on Sunday night to cover all of the ash. Normally, I don't like seeing snow this late in the year, but at least it's white again and not so dirty looking! And to think, we could continue dealing with this for a few more months! My mom offered me a solution to my problem. I believe her exact words were "move home where you belong!" Thanks mom.....I knew I could always count on you! Of course, then I'd be dealing with Tornado warnings and flooding.....


On a happier, much cuter note....this is Preston settling in for nap time one day last week. Lately he has been wanting to take his animals or his tools to sleep with. This day he felt like he needed his safety glasses from his tool set. I guess they keep him safe while he's sleeping.




And here is my sweet little Payton and her blanket. I think she was waiting for her daddy to come out of the bathroom. I wish I had the luxury of closing the door! :) Payton is SO attached to this blanket (I have three now so I can keep them washed) and to her two fingers. When she's tired, hurt, or upset, the blanket and fingers are her biggest comfort. I wish I could say I was her biggest comfort....but they have outdone me!






6 comments:

suzspeaks said...

crazy stuff!!! I'm thankful that you didn't get totally dumped on!! As always, your kids are so stinkin cute!! Have a good day!

Staci said...

Wow. Didn't realize it could ruin so much! Your mom said exactly what my mom would've said! lol

Rebecca said...

This reminds me of Out of the Dust, a book we read in Pre-AP. Very good...very sad...you read it?

Alyssa said...

Yuck!! I hope it stops soon and you don't have to do this for 4 months.

Serena said...

I was thinking when I first heard about that how cool to experience it...you've changed my thinking. I'm with your mom move back to Texas! :) Cute pics of the kiddos too!

Amy said...

CRAZY!!