Apr 9, 2009

Virginia, Here I Come!

I am so excited! I just found out that I get to spend a week at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA from July 12-19.....alone, with no children! Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my kids. But I will FLY alone (read, watch a movie, sleep, snack when I want to), not change any diapers, not hear crying (well, hopefully), etc. etc. But, that's not the reason I'm going.

My job-share partner, Valerie, and I have been taking a professional development class this year through the Center for Civics Education. This class is the same reason I was filmed for the news story a month ago (see earlier post). Anyways, we took this class because it was one Saturday a month, little outside of class work (other than teaching this stuff in our classroom), three credits (towards a pay raise), and a $1000 stipend upon completion in May.

So, during the class we were told of an opportunity to apply to the We The People Institute at James Madison Univ. It's a week long class, all expenses paid (airfare, lodging, food, transportation) at the University with intensive study in Civics Education (mainly the Constituion, etc). I am so NOT a politically minded, government type person. But, since taking this class and teaching it to my fifth graders, I have fallen in love with the curriculum. It truly is AWESOME.

So, Val and I applied to this institution. We didn't get our hopes up though because only 84 teachers Nationwide are chosen. BUT, we both received our acceptance letters yesterday! (I know, a picture of the letter would be cool here but that would be WAY too much work to take, upload, etc....I'm lazy)!

So, I'm off to VA in July for a week of study....I'm a nerd, but an excited nerd! While it will be awesome to not be a mom for a week, I will TOTALLY miss my kids. I've never been away from them more than two nights.....

And, I'm feeling a bit guilty that I'm doing this solely for ME and I know it will be a sacrafice on my kids and husband. But....I'm sure a nice, peaceful plane ride will cure me of the guilt....right? Well, I hope so at least because I really am struggling with feeling guilty. I guess that's what happens when we become moms?

8 comments:

megan said...

Wow, that is so exciting!
I totally understand the feeling guilty thing, but seriously, you gotta get over it! It was be so great for you to relax and rejuvenate yourself. I'm a big believer in mama time. You go, enjoy yourself, miss your kids like crazy, and come home refreshed and ready to go.
Congratulations on getting chosen!

Serena said...

How exciting...congrats! Enjoy yourself!!

Jennifer said...

So thats why you asked me how close I was to JMU...congrats! When is the trip? Perhaps we can somehow meet for dinner.

Alyssa said...

That is so exciting. I have been away from the whole family for about 4 days and it was GREAT - but I was ready to see them. Happy studying.

suzspeaks said...

Congratulations.. that is awesome!! I'm w/ Meg! You'll miss them, but it will be so nice and good for you!!

April L. said...

What an incredible opportunity for you! I'm jealous! You go and enjoy without feeling a bit guilty. All moms deserve a break now and then.

Staci said...

I know what ya mean about feelin' guilty...but ya just have to get over it and enjoy yourself! I bet you're gonna have so much fun!!!

Amy said...

You'll only be an hour away from me!!! I'm SO going to stalk you! Yay!