Aug 23, 2008

Alaska State Fair






The Alaska State Fair comes to town every August for about one week. It's a HUGE deal. Everyone goes to the fair. Now, growing up in Texas, I know what a fair should look like. We didn't go all that often, but when we went, we would have to spend an entire DAY (or more) just to see it all. And I remember "Big Tex" standing in the middle of the fair grounds talking. While I love the Alaska State Fair, it's just not quite the same. It definately has a small town feel to it. Basically, you could walk through the entire fair grounds while browsing through the shops and be done in a couple of hours. To make it even more small town feeling, the fair grounds are in Palmer, which is about an hour drive from Anchorage in "the Valley". This is an area of spread out homes, lots of land, and farms (yes, we have farms in Alaska). But, we love the fair.

So, yesterday was the fair day for our family. Darron took off work early and we headed out in the early afternoon. We had a great time in the petting zoo, eating all the great fair food, watching the lumber jack show, and riding rides. This was Preston's first year to ride rides and he LOVED it. When he would get off of one ride, he would say "I ready go to the next ride mom!" And he would take off. In fact, he loved the fair so much, he melted when we left and cried most of the way home. I guess that's what no nap and lots of sugar will do to a kid!

2 comments:

April L. said...

How fun! I love the picture of Preston with the pigs. Your fair sounds like our North Georgia State Fair. It's not out in the country, but it only takes a few hours to get bored and go home. We go for the food. I can't wait until Riley is big enough to ride.

Jennifer said...

Do you think the Texas fair really was that big or that you were that small? Hmmm. I tell you what I think my grandmas house and yard are shrinking (but then so is she);)